Friday, October 30, 2009

Chico in cage 19


I got this heartbreaking message today:

in imminent danger.

I am a volunteer at the Edison Animal Shelter and advisor for an animal welfare group at the high school where I teach. Our students work with the animals each week.

There is a nice pitbull puppy, male, cream-colored, 1 1/2 yrs old, "Chico," in cage 19.
Chico was surrendered because his family was moving. He is neutered and up to date with his shots. He is friendly, playful and has a nice disposition, and waits quietly, without barking in his cage to be taken out. Chico has not exhibited any aggression toward other dogs, nor any food aggression either, and walks well on leash. He has behaved nicely.

Unfortunately, Chico cannot go for adoption to the public, as it is the shelter's policy that pitbulls may only go to a rescue. Edison is a municipal, kill shelter, and if a rescue does not take him, his time will run out soon, as they are full now.

Are you able to help with placement with Chico, or do you have any suggestions as to who might be able to help him?

Any assistance you can give him will be greatly appreciated. I am attaching a picture of him.

Thank you.

Elda Hubbard
eldahubbard@hotmail.com

UPDATE:

Got this today:

Several days ago I sent out a plea for Chico, a 1 1/2 yr old puppy who was at a kill shelter and at high risk of being euthanized last week. I was not able to find a placement for him, so a rescue pulled him and I decided to foster him until I could find him a good home.
Chico is a nice pup who was obviously very stressed from 2 months in the shelter. He only got out of the cage when we, the volunteers, went there once a week. The rest of the time he was in an indoor cage. He was very thin and had a skin rash when I brought him home. I took him to the vet and he is now on medication for parasites and on antibiotics for the skin rash. He is doing well, has a voracious appetite, and is adjusting to the new home.

However, I still need to find a permanent home for him, as he and my 7 yr old male Shepherd are not the best of friends. Chico wants to play and my Shepherd wants no part of it, plus the fact that both males are competing for dominance and attention. He is sweet, VERY intelligent, is learning commands (although still a little stubborn) and will make a nice companion for an experienced person who can discipline him properly.

I would appreciate anything you can do to help me find him a good home. If you have a website, could you please post him on it? He is a good little pup.

Thank you very much.

Elda Hubbard
eldahubbard@hotmail.com

No comments: